138 SIMCOE STREET – LETT ARCHITECTS STUDIO

Culturally, Lett Architects feels that it’s extremely important to engage with their clients and the community. As our Studio grew, it became clear that in order to facilitate a truly collaborative design process, we would need new space to do so. In the Fall of 2016, Lett purchased an historic building in the core of Peterborough’s downtown that had seen many uses since 1875, most predominantly as various banks.
The design for the Studio saw much of the existing interiors, and various layers of previous renovations, demolished and taken down to the original structure. The attic was removed and skylights added. A new multi-storey space was also created to bring light into the building and the various program spaces. The overall concept now provides a large multi-use space on the ground floor and the studio environment on the second floor.
Lett feels strongly that bringing life to a building that had been abandon for three years and reusing many elements of the building structure is a sustainable approach to creating new space and engaging with the downtown. We have brought new life to this historical edifice. Many elements of the original building were also reused in the renovation and new systems put in place that are energy efficient. Already the space has been used in many ways – a gallery, for collaboration and for celebration.